If you aren’t already familiar with the missing beagle in the D.C. area named Sassafras, then here’s a little background info for you.
In April of 2011, Sassafras was on a walk at daycare when he got loose and ran off. He has been spotted many times over the months since he went missing but no one has yet been able to bring him back home. The family misses Sass like crazy and has gone through great lengths to bring him back (used tracking dogs, hung flyers, used social media, recorded a video documentary, been in the press, searched ground, etc.). You name it, they’ve tried it.
They have young children so it isn’t always feasible for them to be out of the house- especially in the middle of the night when Sassafras has been known to come out.
The family speculates that Sassafras might be hanging around Rock Creek Park because it’s an easier place for him to find food from picnic’s, water and vegetation. But Rock Creek Park is quite a large park (1700 acres). This family is exhausted but still hopeful and still working 100% to find Sass.
If you are a dog lover, put yourself in their shoes, just for a second. Your dog has been missing for 6 months and there have been multiple sightings so you know he/she is out there, running around in the same area. It’s fall and soon winter will be here. What would you do to get every available person together to do a large foot search of the park? Of course you’d want the entire world to come and help you but would they?
Lucky for the family of Sass, they’ve had a lot of help from friends and family in their efforts to bring her home. But let’s face it, people get tired and people have their own lives.
This probably sounds like a ridiculous request, especially coming from someone who’s half way across the country and can’t physically do the search herself, but is there a dog lover out there who cares so much that you would pull together a hundred volunteers to do a mass foot search together?? Wouldn’t you want that for your lost dog?
It’s so easy for me to ask this, right? I’m in touch with her parents and I’d be willing to help coordinate the efforts, the people, etc. from here. And if money should suddenly appear in my bank account, I’d fly there in a heart beat and use up all of my vacation time to get Sassafras off the streets and back home.
Is this possible? Can we do it? Are you up for a challenge? WILL YOU HELP US?
If you’re interested, please reply to this post or email me personally at email@example.com.
Dog lovers- let’s unite and do some good! Together, we can do anything!
Follow Sassafras on Facebook.
Follow Sassafras on Twitter: @FindSassafras
From the website, Find Sassafras on Tuesday, October 18, 2011:
After the Show
Jeff and I have done a number of interviews with the local TV stations, newspapers, online blogs, and Anderson Cooper. Every time we do one, we hope that the right person will see it and help us bring Sassafras home. Simply put, we have high hopes. When the miracle phone call doesn’t happen, those high hopes have to go somewhere, and there’s no where to go but down – and we have some days where we are very sad because we haven’t been reunited with Sassy, and that despite all our hard work and working outside our comfort zones (we are not TV people!), we still feel like we’ve failed her. It’s always hard to think about what to do next, and work up the energy to actually do it.
We have, by no means, given up our search, even though we’re kind of quiet right now. We’re just conserving our energy, and getting ready to start again.
If spotted call 202-664-2301. Do not chase! Take cell phone pic, if possible.
Possible & Confirmed sightings (for further explanation of some of the sightings below, please visit their blog at Find Sassafras).
July -CONFIRMED – July 7th at River Rd & Western! Sassafras seems to be traveling through Chevy Chase down to American U.
June 15 – 4th & Rhode Island – caller said he saw our dog being walked by a young Caucasian man over the weekend.
June 12 – Rock Creek Park – Parkside and Beach – sounds like another beagle, was wearing red harness.
June 5 – “Florida Ave Park” with a woman who sells dogs. See post below.
May 24 – Chevy Chase
May 22 – Florida and First St, 9:30 PM Report that a homeless man has dog that looks like Sassafras. See related blog post.
May 21 – 700 block of Kenyon NE. Caller said they saw a beagle wondering around while driving by in their car. Description of collar did not exactly match Sass’, so likely not her.
May 20 – 2315 Lincoln Road. Caller claimed a different resident of the apartment building has a dog that looks like Sass (new to them as of a couple weeks). Likely a crank call.
Sassafras in the media (visit Find Sassafras to be linked to these stories):
- Anyone in the #DC area of Colorado and 14th right now?? Look for a #lost #beagle! PLZ RT! @FindSassafras (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- #Dog friends- I need your #help! Possible new sighting of the #lost #Beagle #Sassafras in #ChevyCase! @FindSassafras (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- A Sassafras sighting in Chevy Chase, MD! Please RT! @FindSassafras (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- Confirmed siting @FindSassafras! (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- It IS Sassafras! We’re so close! @FindSassafras (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- @FindSassafras sighting crossing East West Highway, east of #Grubb. PLZ #HELP (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- Possible sighting in @CandyCane City! @FindSassafras (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- Izzy and I are hoping that tonight #Sassafras comes back home. @Find Sassafras (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- Awesome! @AndersonCooper to air story on @FindSassafras!! (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- Documentary on Lost Dog Sassafras (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- The Washington Post on #FindSassafras (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- Sassafras- a beagle still missing from D.C. (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- Friends- plz help & RT! @FindSassafras Let’s be the ones to reunite this lost dog to their family! (kissbeep.wordpress.com)
- Friends- plz RT! Possible sighting – Capital Crescent Trail near mile marker 6 (@FindSassafras) (kissbeep.wordpress.com)